Sunday, June 9, 2013

Small Car Test drive Experience: FIAT, Volkswagen, Toyota, Honda

Finally I decided to buy a new car as my graduation gift, as I need to pass my 2000 Toyota Corolla VE to my little sister. I never think of buying a new car will become a hassle if I leave my choice undecided. With limited budget, I can only afford a car that costs less than $20,000, which means I don't have much choices to be left. 

So first I make a list of cars under $20,000 that I might buy (Automatic Transmission, Base Models):
1. Ford Fiesta
2. Fiat 500c
3. Volkswagen Jetta
4. Honda Civic LX
5. Honda Fit
6. Hyundai Elantra
7. Mazda 2
8. Toyota Prius C
9. Toyota Corolla (I just list this out because it's popular and under $20,000, but I definitely will not buy it. Who would buy the same model if one has drove it for over 5 years?)

Then I eliminate some as I go over the list; end up I test drive 4 of them. 


1. 2013 Fiat 500c (Pop)
MSRP: $16,000
MPG: 31 (city)/ 40 (fwy)

(FIAT 500 Cabrio)


The small car has stylish outline and attractive interior. According to Ontario, CA dealership, FIAT 500c Pop promotional price now is around $14,100, including factory rebate ($500) and dealer discount ($1,600). At first I'm concerned if the interior is spacious enough in the compact car; turns out it is surprisingly more capacious than I expect: even the space in back seats isn't tight as others said.

The test drive experience is good. I try the city route and get excited when I drive (Perhaps I am amazed of its good looking interior). I assume the ride will be bumpy if I drive it to the highway since the suspension isn't great when driving local. I researched about FIAT 500c and see a lot of people saying this car is fun to drive if driving in manual transmission. I wish I know manual transmission and will definitely purchase this as a starting point.

Despite all its fun features, I am really concerned about its safety. The sales cannot convince me that when I asked him to compare this to MINI Cooper. What he responses is that FIAT's price is cheaper than MINI Cooper. My coworkers and friends tells me not to buy this car if I drive highway a lot since it doesn't look safe as SMART or MINI. Although I am not trying to resell it after certain years, but FIAT depreciates quicker than the other cars.

Price: ****
Test Drive Experience: ***


2. 2013 Volkswagen Jetta
MSRP: $17,820
MPG: 24 (city)/ 34 (fwy)


Compare the driving experience with FIAT, driving a Volkswagen Jetta is definitely a safer option to go. The base model has the basics needed: power windows, radio etc. One thing to note is that the trunk is larger compare with other cars like Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic. When I test drive the car, it does give me more peace of mind than driving a FIAT, which provides me excitement and a mood of "uniqueness", but the interior Jetta provides doesnt satisfy me. This car is too boring. I don't think I can keep the car for over 5 years.

Price: ***
Test Drive Experience: ****


3. 2013 Toyota Prius C Two
MSRP: $20,030
MPG: 53 (city)/ 46 (fwy)


  
It's unfair to compare a hybrid car with normal compact cars, but I really want to share my test drive experience of this new, young vehicle. In my opinion, Prius C exterior looks more stylish than Prius. I assume Prius C is aiming to those eco-friendly young people who don't have enough money to afford a Prius by looking at its color selection. Who would buy an orange car other than hippies?

Many people are saying Prius has unsatisfied acceleration performance due to its engine. I didn't research the engine or horsepower, but my experience tells me Prius C has better acceleration but not-so-good brake than Prius. Since I pick the second cheapest model (Prius C two), there is no navigation or smart key system with push button. The interior looks terrible and I'm sure it has the worst design among all cars. The layout and chairs look cheap, and I can't believe such car worth more than $20,000. The auxilary hub is placed on passenger side on the right, which makes me wonder why I need to go further to plug in my MP3. The hole behind the steering wheel is to place the phone or other stuff, according to Toyota Sales. I cannot stand the radio with green display that makes the car 10 years older. Even my old Toyota Corolla has a more modern design than this new hybrid.

If you want to go for a hybrid, don't ever buy Prius C. I'd rather buy Prius (Probably $5,000 more), which has a much better interior design and reasonable layout.

Price: *
Test Drive Experience: ***


4. 2013 Honda Civic LX
MSRP: $18,965
MPG: 28 (city)/ 39 (fwy)

 

Last but not least, I test drive the Honda Civic LX. I used to hate Civic because the car is more expensive comparing with Toyota Corolla (MSRP: $16,230), while both cars share similar features. When Civic has just removed DX, the cheapest base model, this leaves LX to be the cheapest one and causes overall average price even higher. Ironically, I immeidately fall in love with the car right after the test drive. The car has all the basics with nice exterior and well-equipped interior. Honda installs the rear back up camera as standard feature to all Civics, along with the bluetooth connection, auxiliary hub (in a reasonable place under the radio) and USB hub.

The ride is pleasant and safe. I tried both local and freeway and the ride is not bumpy at all. Besides, the acceleration is good and brake is the best among the cars I have tried. I have no doubt about Honda Civic safety with enough airbags and the rollover sensor. One thing to note that the AC for Civic is cooler than other cars as well.

The features and feeling worth the price, and I am satisfied with my New Honda Civic so far.
The next article will update about the Honda Civic Purchase experience as 1st time buyer.

Price: ****
Test Drive Experience: *****





No comments:

Post a Comment