Friday, February 1, 2013

Apple carrot juice



I like juices a lot, so I decide to make some for myself. My first experiment with apples and carrots was a FAIL.

Recipe:
2 Carrots
1 Apple
Blender
Water (subject to change for your interest)

Procedures:
1. Peel the skin of apples. Cut it into pieces.
2. Put the apple in the blender. Add water (let's say half cup for now).
3. Start the blender from low speed for 10~15 seconds, then high speed for another 10~15 seconds.
4. Pour the apple juice out, then add in carrots and start the blender. Add some water and start from low speed for 10~15 seconds and high speed if needed.
5. Pour the apple juice in the blender and mix it together with low/ high speed. If necessary, pour more water in to let the mixture become more mixed and blended.


The result didn't turn out great as I expected. I thought the juice would be quite sweet and full of apple smell, but I can barely smell any apple scent nor taste apple in my juice. Perhaps I should have put only one carrot instead of two in the blender. Meanwhile, carrots in LA are TASTELESS, in compare with those in Southeast Asia. When I visit Hong Kong, the carrots there are very sweet and fresh, unlike the ones in LA. (The difference between them not only on taste but also on texture. The carrots in Hong Kong take way longer time to be cooked.)






























Second, I was too lazy and didn't peel the skins of apples before I put them in a blender, and some apple skin are torn while blending and I see the pieces in the juice. And Yes, don't be lazy on peeling the skin, the taste differ.


See those pieces of apple skin? It tastes a bit weird without peeling it off.

The product of apple juice and carrot juice. The purpose of adding carrot juice is to avoid apple juice oxidation because apples are easily oxidized when exposed to air. The addition of carrot juice will help preserve apple juice longer and "make the juice sweeter" (if the carrots are sweet enough).
Jane C.
UCLA Environmental Science B.S. | Class of 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment